Nakuru County, one of Kenya’s vibrant regions, boasts a dynamic county government responsible for a range of essential services and functions. Whether you’re a resident or planning a visit, understanding the role and responsibilities of the Nakuru County government is crucial. In this blog post, we’ll delve into Nakuru County’s government, its services, and its impact on the community, while also highlighting the key leadership team currently in office.
Meet the Leaders of the County Government of Nakuru
Before we dive into the various services and functions of Nakuru County’s government, let’s introduce you to the individuals at the helm:
- Governor Susan Kihika: Susan Kihika leads Nakuru County as its Governor. Her vision and leadership are instrumental in shaping the county’s policies and development initiatives.
- Deputy Governor David Kones: Serving as the Deputy Governor of Nakuru County, David Kones plays a crucial role in supporting Governor Susan Kihika in the administration and governance of the county.
- Dr. Samuel Mwaura – Acting County Secretary: Dr. Samuel Mwaura serves as the Acting Secretary of Nakuru County. In this vital role, he plays a pivotal part in coordinating and facilitating various county government activities.
- County Executive Committee Members (CECs): To assist the Governor in delivering services to the Nakuru electorate, the Governor is assisted by a team of executives heading the various departments. The CECs currently in place include;
- Michael Kamau Karanja – Infrastructure
- Josephine Atieno Achieng – Youth, Gender, Sports and Social Services
- Stephen Iribe Njogu – Finance and Economic Planning
- Jacqueline Mong’ina Osoro – Health Services
- Nelson Tonui Maara – Water, Environment, Climate Change and Energy
- Leonard Kipkoech Bor – Agriculture, Fisheries and Co-Operatives
- Stephen Kuria Muiruri – Trade, Culture and Tourism
- Roselyn Wanjiru Mungai – Public Service Training and Devolution
- John Karanja Kihagi – Lands, Physical Planning Housing and Urban Development
- Zipporah Wambui – Education, Youth, ICT and E-Government
Now, let’s explore the services and functions that make Nakuru County’s government an essential cornerstone of the region’s progress and prosperity.
1. Healthcare Services in Nakuru County
Under the leadership of Governor Susan Kihika and Deputy Governor David Kones, Nakuru County prioritizes healthcare services. Access to quality healthcare is essential for the well-being of Nakuru County’s residents, and initiatives are in place to ensure the provision of these crucial services.
2. Education Initiatives
Governor Susan Kihika’s commitment to education is reflected in the county’s efforts to oversee and improve educational institutions. The education services offered by the county are Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) and Vocational Training Centers (VTCs). Education is a key driver of development in Nakuru County.
3. Infrastructure Development
Infrastructure development remains a central focus in Nakuru County. Governor Susan Kihika and his team are dedicated to ensuring well-maintained roads, bridges, and other critical infrastructure that connects communities and drives economic growth.
4. Agriculture Support
The county government of Nakuru continues to support local farmers and promote agricultural practices that contribute to Nakuru County’s economic stability. The leadership team recognizes agriculture’s importance in the region.
5. Water and Sanitation Management
Access to clean water and proper sanitation is a fundamental human right. Nakuru County, under the guidance of Governor Susan Kihika and Deputy Governor David Kones, continues to manage water supply and sanitation services to improve public health and living conditions.
6. Public Works and Construction
Governor Susan Kihika and Deputy Governor David Kones oversee public construction projects and maintenance of public properties. This commitment ensures that Nakuru County residents enjoy safe and well-maintained public spaces.
7. Trade and Tourism Promotion
Promoting trade and tourism activities is integral to Nakuru County’s economic growth. Governor Susan Kihika is focused on creating an enabling environment for businesses to thrive and contribute to the local economy.
8. County Planning and Development
Under the leadership of Governor Susan Kihika, Deputy Governor David Kones, and the support of Dr. Samuel Mwaura and the planning department, Nakuru County continues to develop and implement county development plans and projects. These initiatives shape the county’s growth and progress.
9. Revenue Collection for Sustainable Development
To fund its operations and provide services, Nakuru County’s government collects revenue through taxation and other means. This revenue, under the guidance of the leadership team.
As Nakuru County’s government evolves and adapts to the changing needs of its residents, staying informed and engaged is essential. Keep an eye on official county government websites and local news sources for the latest updates on county initiatives, leadership changes, and policy decisions.
In conclusion, Nakuru County’s government, led by Governor Susan Kihika plays a pivotal role in enhancing the quality of life for its residents. Whether a resident or a visitor, understanding these roles and the dedicated leaders behind them can help you appreciate the contributions of Nakuru County’s government to the community’s growth and prosperity.