Nakuru County Commissioner Erastus Mbui has assured the elderly and vulnerable in Nakuru that the government will provide enough security and health measures during the disbursement of the Sh8.5 billion to the elderly and the vulnerable.
Under the the cash-transfer dubbed Inua Jamii programme,the money is meant that is being disbursed through bank agents i meant to cushion them against negative effects of coronavirus pandemic. .
“The department of Labour and Social Protection in collaboration with the police have put in place proper mechanisms to ensure there is security and process of payment is free from any hitch,” said Mbui.
The Nakuru County Commissioner’s sentiments coming even as the government form Monday this week rolls-out Sh8.75 billion to the elderly and poor under the cash transfer programmes run by the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection.
The money will be paid to one million people through four banks (KCB, Cooperative Bank, Equity Bank and Post Bank) contracted to pay the beneficiaries.
According to the PS Ministry of Labour Nelson Marwa, each beneficiary will receive Sh 8,000 payment for months of January- February and March- April.
Marwa also stating that the government would also release Sh500 million owed to persons living with disabilities as directed by President Kenyatta last week.
“The Ministry of Labour has adopted a multi-agency approach in the payment process in Ministry of Interior, county governments, Ministry of Health, elected leaders and ministries to ensure seamless coordination,” said Marwa.
In order to contain further spread of the virus, the PS has advised all the beneficiaries to utilise mobile banking, ensure social distancing and ensure all biometric devices have been cleaned and sanitized regularly.
Nakuru County Commissioner Erastus Mbui has clarified that there is no new case positive case of coronavirus in Nakuru.
However, the County Commissioner has expressed his fear over the ongoing transportation of cargos by trucks from the Port city through Nairobi and Nakuru saying that they are exposing Nakuru residents into dangers since they have their major stopovers at Mai Mahiu, Kikopey, Nyama Choma and Salgaa.
Mbui says they will now be doing proper scrutiny to those on boards in the trucks.
“We will ensure proper scrutiny of the cargo transporters. Those trying to use panya routes to access Nakuru be warned that they will be forced to 14 days self-sponsored quarantine and later charged,” he said.
He has added that they have also discovered ‘panya routes’ that locals are using to access Nakuru at Flyover warning that those who will be caught will be forced to 14 days self-sponsored quarantine and later charged.
On his side, Nakuru County Governor Lee Kinyanjui has said that among the five cases that have been reported by the Health CS Mutahi Kagwe from Nakuru are actually two and the three were quarantined at Nairobi after jetting in the country.
Kinyanjui has said that the ministry used the travel documents that showed the extra three were residents of Nakuru.
“I must clarify that the ministry used the travel documents that showed the extra three were residents of Nakuru,” he said.
On the issue of those using alternative routes from Nairobi, Kinyanjui has said that there will be increased surveillance
Nakuru County Commissioner Erastu Mbui has warned Nakuru up market hotel owners against running bars within their hotels against the government’s order of closure of all entertainment joints in a bid to curtail the spread of corona virus.
Addressing the media, Wednesday morning, Mbui said that they have observed some bars lock-ins in prominent hotels and will take drastic measures towards that.
He said that they have already arrested one culprit was arrested and another decided to lock himself in one of the top end hotels.
At the same time he reiterated the ban on food hawking within Nakuru town and said that those found violating the directive will be dealt with accordingly.
Mbui also warned restraints and eateries against violating the directive on serving only take away foods saying that some restaurant owners who violated the order have been arrested and their premises ordered shut.
The county commissioner called on wananchi to help the government in enforcing the directives issue in combating the spread of corona virus.
Although majority of entertainment joints and restaurants in Nakuru have complaint with the governments order, there are some which have deliberately chosen to disobey the order.
The county security team has intensified patrols within the County top ensure total compliance of the governments directives.