The Waruhiu contractor working on the World Bank funded drainage Project in Manyani,Kivumbini in Nakuru East sub county is finallyin bowing to pressure after locals petitioned the County government of Nakuru over the delays in the works that was now posing danger to the locals.
The contractor who had delayed the work leading to the pool of water on the lower part of the project has now moved in with speed to rectify everything.
This is said to have been occasioned by the fact that there was to be a mutual understanding between the contractor and the KWS so that the drainage system could end up in the park after sieving.
However, sources have it that workers were spotted on site trying to make an exit of for the storm water into the park to avert the danger it was posing to locals especially the children in the area.
Residents of the area had raised concerns over dangers posed by stalled construction of the storm water drainage project.
In the public petition that by the time the time of publishing this article had been served to KWS offices and received by Community Commandant Ms Salome Chelolgo, the locals said the World Bank-funded project had turned out to be a disaster in waiting rather than a solution to the perennial flooding which caused havoc in the area.
According to the petitioners, the storm water from the drainage had formed a stagnant pool with a depth of six feet and overflowing during heavy rains flooding the nearby plots.
The locals also stating that the stagnant pool had been a point of accidents with four motorcyclists having been saved from drowning after sliding into the pool.
The water which had no exit was also causing damages to the residential perimeter walls within the area with risk of collapsing due to the soaked underground soil caused by prolonged stagnant water.
Addressing media on Wednesday after submitting the petition to the Nakuru’s KWS offices, the residents led by Martin Lunalo were categorical the matter should be addressed amicably.
“We have submitted the petition to KWS who are also a party since the water has to be directed to the park. We shall be moving to the governor’s office over the same. We demand that the county government of Nakuru and respective authorities commence reasonable engagements and discussion with a view to end the menace to avert the impending disaster associated with the stalled project” he said.
Similar sentiments echoed by Hoseah Ochieng- a resident who stated that the pool of water on the lower part of the project that was occassio0ned due to lack of exit way was a major danger to children.
“We therefore demand that the county government of Nakuru and respective authorities commence reasonable engagements and discussion with a view to end the menace to avert the impending disaster associated with the stalled project” read the petition.