The county government of Nakuru has announced immediate deployment of Public health officers and security officers at border points to ensure compliance to the new directives announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
In a statement to newsrooms,Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui while welcoming the directive by the President on movement in and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan said Nakuru shall with immediate effect ensure full compliance of his instructions.
“Public health officers and security personnel will be deployed to our border points effective midnight today to ensure compliance” said Kinyanjui.
He added that Nakuru being a frontier county, the county appreciate the measures unveiled and pledge to support to the fullest possible.
In addition, the county boss also making an to Kenappeal appeal to Kenyans to appreciate that all measures taken by the government are in their best interest.
“We must embrace the measures for the long term good of the nation” said Kinyanjui.
He said the measures are inorder especially after it emerged that people moving from areas of infection to areas of low risk is a major threat to the containment of COVID-19.
It should be noted that President Uhuru Kenyatta on Monday announced restriction of movement to and from Nairobi Metropolitan,Kilifi,Kwale and Mombasa counties to avert the spread of COVID-19.
Public transport vehicle operators in Nakuru town have increased charges on various routes as even as they move to comply with the governments directive of limiting the number of passengers they carry.
Even though matatu stages are not crowded the available vehicles have hiked their fares from between 50-100%.
Passengers on routes that normally charge Ksh 30 are now being forced to pay Ksh 50 to town while those that pay Ksh 50 are now paying between Ksh 100 and Ksh 150.
Long distance public service vehicle operators have hiked their fares by between 40-50% with those traveling to Nairobi from Nakuru paying Ksh 500 up from Ksh 300.
Drivers along the Maili sita -Nakuru route however decried a low number of passengers making their way to town,saying it was hurting their business.
“There are no people along the route and the few that are traveling are complaining of the Ksh 10 fare increase,” said Daniel Maina, a driver with Bahama Sacco.
He called on the government to lower fuel costs as one way of cushioning the matatu sector which he said will be worst hit by the directive
On a positive note all public service vehicle operators are complying with the directive to carry 8 passengers for the 14 seater matatus.
The government has last week issued the orders of limiting the number of passengers in public service transport vehicles as a way of combating the spread of Corona virus.