Shock as convict in murder case disappears from police custody

A family in Nakuru is crying for justice after a convict in the murder case of their loved one reportedly went missing from Nakuru Central Police Cells.

Addressing media outside Nakuru Law courts, the family led by Mr. Vincent Mathea said the suspect in the murder of his son(the late Martin Mathea) had pleaded guilty on 18th December 2018 and was to be sentenced today(January 2nd 2019) only for them to be informed that the convict had disappeared in unclear circumstances from the police cells.

Mr.Mathea says it is shocking that a convict can disappear from Police cells in unclear circumstances and is now calling on the Police to come out clear on how such happened.

While citing the incident as negligence on the side of the police, the family says the police have indicated that two officers who were on duty have been interdicted.However,Nakuru Deputy OCPD Daniel Kitavi was categorical that he had not received any information on the same.

The family adds that their lives are in danger since the convict knows and understands their residential place.“We are shocked to be told that the convict escaped from police cells in unclear circumstances. We want justice and the police must come out clear on this” said Mr.Mathea.

Sentiments echoed by Joyce Wanjiku-sister to the late Martin Mathea.According to her, it was shocking that the accused person who was charged with robbery with violence causing death went missing at the watch of police on the very day that he was to be sentenced.

“We are disappointed in the whole system since we are now back to zero where we started. We hope the police will trace him so that he can be sentenced” said Ms Wanjiku.

The late Martin Mathea was found dead in his house at Ngala Estate in Nakuru East Sub County and police launched investigations into the same.

A suspect in the murder a Mr. Samson Khamari was arraigned in court and pleaded guilty on the 18th December 2018 and was detained at Nakuru Central Police Cells only to disappear on 2nd January 2019- day that he was to be sentenced.

PHOTO/A police station. [Source/Matara]