Nakuru nurses paralyse services citing county failure

One thousand, two hundred Nurses in Nakuru county have vowed not to return to work until concerns they had raised with the county government of Nakuru are resolved.
This comes a day after the Kenya national union of nurses- KNUN called off its nationwide strike.
Addressing media on Thursday at the Nakuru level 5 hospital the nurses led by the Branch Secretary of the KNUN Cyprian Odera said that they started their strike on 1st December ahead of the other nurses in the country simply because the county government of Nakuru had ignored their earlier return to work formula signed in July this year.
“We started our strike on 1st December ahead of the other nurses in the country simply because the county government of Nakuru had ignored our earlier return to work formula signed in July this year and therefore we still remain on strike” she said.
She added that they have engaged their national officials with a view to having deliberations with the county government.
She was quick however to dismiss claims that KNUN officials are unavailable saying they have been pushing for a dialogue with health executive who on several occasions have turned them down.
Odera said the issue should now be addressed by the KNNU headquarters in Nairobi.
“The union officials have tried to meet executive but it has been impossible. This is the reason why we are on strike and if there is any communication, the issue should be handled by our health officer” said Odera.
According to her, she said the county agreed to employee 774 healthcare workers, and none of them has been employed.
The chair said union officials held a meeting with county that was chaired by director of administration and planning Dr Benedict Osore who said 212 employees had been promoted.However, Odera said the said officers have not received promotion letters and that the move was meant to victimize the striking force.
Other issue raised by the union official is lack of enough human resource to serve high mobility in public hospitals.
A spot check revealed that they were long queues and patients complained of not receiving any services from contracted nurses.
Contracted nurses who have been attending to patients amidst a heavy workload fled after they noticed the presence of journalists in the hospital.
County CEC for health Dr. Mungai Kabii and his chief officer Dr. Samuel Mwaura could not be reached for comment as they did not answer calls nor reply short messages.

0 Thoughts to “Nakuru nurses paralyse services citing county failure”

  1. Amy

    Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during
    lunch break. I love the information you present here and
    can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great blog!

Leave a Comment