Kinyanjui: No county money was returned to National treasury

Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui has refuted claims that Nakuru County returned huge sum of money unused to the National treasury in the last financial year.

Speaking on Thursday during a media breakfast, the county boss lashed out at those spearheading the narrative.

According to Kinyanjui, his administration did not return the funds but rather kept the money for County Emergency.

“As a county, we have prudently put in place mechanisms to manage funds and no fund has been returned to National treasury as is being purported by some quarters,” said Kinyanjui.

Kinyanjui adding that the amount is currently being utilized to pay County workers among them the health workers ensuring service delivery is consistent despite the revenue allocation stalemate.

He has said that rolled over the amount that has created a loophole for Nakuru politicians to attack the county government is currently being used to run the County.

“As a county we are okay and despite the ongoing revenue stalemate Nakuru county can run for the next five months without any support from the National Government,” said Kinyanjui.

Earlier in the week, Nakuru County Senator Susan Kihika slammed Governor Lee and his administration saying that the county returned Ksh 3.9 billion to the National treasury despite the poor state of infrastructure in the county.

PHOTO/KNA: Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui.

Share thoughts